Mar 22, 2020
As we move to hosting our services online, Phil spoke from Acts 2:42 showing how the disciples started doing church and devoting themselves.
If you are a member of the private "CitP - Church Family" Facebook Group, you can watch the whole meeting there.
• Unprecedented times not just for the uk but the world
• It's not a time though to shrink back be in fear or anxiety
• Many around are fearful and fear will come even to us maybe in the night, maybe as we hear the news updates.
I had a dream in the night about this and an overwhelming sense of fear in the dream. I woke and gave it to God.
It's a time to devote ourselves
Acts 2 V 42
“All the believers devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching, and to fellowship, and to sharing in meals (including the Lord’s Supper ), and to prayer.”
Acts of the Apostles 2:42 NLT
I want encourage us at this time as we have to re-adjust our priorities and the way we live that the free time we have we use wisely
1. Devote ourselves to the apostles teaching
a. These are recorded for us in the New Testament the gospels the letters to the churches from Peter, John, James , and Paul
b. You can go back and listen to talks on our website, maybe ones you missed maybe those that spoke to you before.
c. Looking back since the beginning of the year it seems to me that the talks that God led the preachers to bring have been to help prepare us for this time so we would encourage you to go back and listen again asking the Holy Spirit to speak to you afresh through them
2. To fellowship -
a. this is now being worked out in new ways, who would have thought that we would we doing church like we are having too.
b. It's not new though when the early church was scattered they had to find new ways of fellowship as they were distant from one another
c. What is interesting that through some of the most difficult circumstances especially for the Church, the church grew. Let's pray that that would be true in our day at this time
3. Sharing in Meals including the Lords supper.
a. Now we can't eat together at this moment but we can as part of our meal at home take bread and wine (Juice) and remember that Jesus died for our sins and that in his body he bore all our sickness and diseases
b. Take time to remember we are saved by grace, that through his death and resurrection we have peace with God we are now his children, secured for eternity. No matter what happens here on earth we have an eternal home prepared for us because of Jesus.
a. Today is a national day of prayer called by the national churches together and the Evangelical alliance.
b. We have an opportunity to pray for our nation and the nations remembering those nations we have the privilege of helping and serving.
c. "If my people will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, I will hear from heaven and will forgive them and heal their land". It's time to be devoted to prayer. Andrew Davies is broadcasting a talk today on adventures in prayer I would encourage you to listen to it.
d. When we feel,we can do little else pray, we are been asked to stay home and not socialise in person lets give time to pray. There are many prayers in scripture for that we can use to help us pray. Pray for one another and our families, our communities we live in, the Peak District.
“A final word: Be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. Put on all of God’s armour so that you will be able to stand firm against all strategies of the devil.”
Ephesians 6:10-11 NLT
1) what adjustments can you make right now to spend more time with God and getting to know him better?
2) out of the 4 things that the people devoted themselves to which one particularly speaks to you and why?
3) is there anyone who you can reach out to who does not know Jesus? In what ways can you show them the love and compassion of Jesus at this time?
4) How can you be strong and in the Lord and in his mighty power, what areas are you vulnerable in where do you need the Lords strength?