Remembrance Sunday : Spiritual Warfare
Dave Watmore (Sun, 12 Nov 2017)
Remembrance Sunday service
Dave spoke on spiritual warfare, drawing parallels between the Israelites fight with the Amalekites and our position in Christ.
The Amalekites are the personification of evil reflecting unbelief, bitterness and despising of God.
Rephidim means place of rest.
Joshua is the Hebrew name for Jesus
Moses holding up his hands is symbolic of surrendering to God and allowing God to search you in your inner being.
Moses grew tired but Aaron (which means exalted) and Hur (which means liberty or freedom) seat Moses on the rock and hold his hands up.
Remained steady is the same as being in faith.
How do you make sure you are at rest in your life?
How do you remain at rest? 1Thess 5 v 16 -18 How do you defend your vulnerable and weak areas of your life?
Have you exchanged your previous family identity to that of being in Christ? “All my family are rebellious, unforgiving, lazy........”
What does cultivating an awareness that God is always with you, mean to you? Psalm 139. Good place to finish off with contemplating this is worship.
(Sun, 05 Nov 2017)
Paul Basson, from South Manchester Family Church, spoke on Faith and prophecy.
Further notes and questions may follow in due course.
The Moses Years - Bitter Water, Manna And Quail
Phil Hardy (Sun, 29 Oct 2017)
Phil continued our series on Moses, looking at how God was faithful to the Israelites, providing them food and water in the wilderness and showing his Glory, despite their moaning.
To read Phil's notes (in PDF format), click here.
• Journeying with the Israelites
• Seen the hand of God deliver them from the Egyptians
• Song of deliverance in Ex 15
Ex 15 v 22
Oasis at Marah
Complained and turned against Moses
What are we going to drink they demanded
Miracle - piece of wood makes the water good go drink
The Lord tells them he is going to test their faithfulness
Manna & Quail
Led into the wilderness of Sin between Elim & Mount Sinai
There too the whole community of Israel complained about Moses and Aaron
Looking back to what they probably though were the good old days
Brought us here to starve
God provides for them food
All they have to do is faithfully obey
Verse 4 I will test them in this to see whether or not they will follow my Instructions
• Do you believe that God tests us? James 1
• How does he test us ? In the ordinary things of life
God provides enough for each day only will last 1 day
except on the sixth day where there will be enough that will keep for 2 days
Moses and Aaron speak to the people v 6
• The Israelites are a complaining people, may be a spirit of ungratefulness
• Does our nation have this spirit,? Look at trip advisor more complaints than positive comments
• Are you ungrateful ?
• Are you a complainer?
• We all need to be careful when we are complaining about those who God has given authority too who are leading. V8 "your complaints are against the Lord, not against us"
They didn't really know God
They didn't know who they were
Verse 9 & 10 They get to see the awesome Glory of God in cloud - sign that God is with them and with Moses and Aaron
Back to the test
Gods tests them by giving simple instructions over the provision of food. V 11 - 36
• Some it seemed could not follow the Lord's simple instructions
• They tried to keep food for the next day and it was rotten - we need fresh daily spiritual food
• The Lord gave them the gift of a day of rest so on the 6th day he provided enough for 2 days, but some still went out looking for food on the 7th day
• They were also to preserve food for future generations, it was placed in the Ark of the covenant.
• This instruction was for forty years
• How quick do we get bored or fed up of following and doing the last thing God told us to do?
• What was the last thing your loving heavenly father told you to do?
• Are you doing it?
• Are you doing it out of duty?
• Are you doing it from a place of Faith ? Knowing that what he is looking for is the obedience that comes from faith not duty
Ch17 - Water from the a Rock.
Here we go again, they complained and demanded water.
It takes another sign / miracle because they argued with Moses and tested the Lord by saying "Is the Lord with us or not?"
There's much for us to learn from the Israelites
1. Are you a complainer? Who or what is you complaint is it against a person? Maybe you need to deal with it. We are told that if we have anything in our hearts against some one else we must first deal with it before we offer our worship to God.
2. Are you ungrateful or have a ungrateful attitude?
3. God is looking for those who follow him, Paul writes that we are to call people to the obedience that comes from faith. Are you following out of duty or love and faith for the one who has called you his child?
4. Is God testing you through the ordinary things of life, how are you responding ?
Prayer / Ministry
We are called to clothe the naked of the world not get naked with the world
We are called to provide a bed to sleep in get get in bed with the world
We are called to feed the hungry and the thirsty of the world not hunger and thirst after the world
Gods looking for a people who carry the Glory of our heavenly father where ever we go an in what ever we do.
1. Do you believe that God tests us? James 1
2. How does God test us ?
3. What can you learn from the this part of the story?
4. How can we live obedient faith filled lives without it becoming a duty or us resenting God.
Neal Garratt (Sun, 22 Oct 2017)
Neal and team present the various activities of the Jigsaw Project
Andy McCullough (Sun, 15 Oct 2017)
Andy spoke from Mark 5.21-6.1
Reaching The Nations
Phil Hardy Dave Harper (Sun, 08 Oct 2017)
Phil, Sundar and Ali spoke of their time in India.
To hear more about Home of Hope, please visit http://www.flmhope.org/.
Dave spoke of the work that is going on in Yalova, that our donations are actively supporting.
To hear more about the work in Yalova, click here.
Baptism Service: Faith And Obedience
Dave Watmore (Sun, 01 Oct 2017)
Today was a special baptism service for Nikki and Kirsty.
Following the baptisms, Dave spoke about the faith and obedience that we need when we follow Jesus and the parallels there are with Moses leading the Israelites out of Egypt.
Dave showed two clips from the "Prince of Egypt".
The Israelites leaving Egypt:
The Israelites crossing the Red Sea:
Further notes and questions may follow in due course.
After the service, we had our own mini-Passover meal: lamb pittas.
Neal Garrett (Sun, 24 Sep 2017)
Neal continued our series on Exodus looking at the Passover from Exodus chapter 11 and 12 and what it meant for the children of Israel and what the Passover signifies for us with regard to our salvation and position in Christ.
This is the passover clip from "The Prince of Egypt" that was played:
Pharaoh was on a collision course with God as he did not know God and was not prepared to listen to Moses.
Exodus 5 vs 2 – Who is the Lord that I should obey his voice – I don’t know the Lord and I will not let the people go…
However,God had already made a covenant promise with Moses that he would set the people free from slavery and from Pharaoh’s rule over them – See Exodus 3 vs 6-8 … I have come down to rescue them from the power of the Egyptians and lead them out of Egypt.
Pharaoh does not listen to God throughout the plagues and so finally it comes down to the last plague where the first born of each family would die. However, God gave Moses specific instructions for the children of Israel and what they were to do to ensure their safety. They were to sacrifice a lamb and paint the doorpost and lintels of the doorway to the house with the blood of the lamb and when the spirit of God saw the blood he would not enter that house and would pass over. The children of Israel were duly saved by the shedding of blood of the lamb and herein lies one of the great themes of the bible – God rescuing his people by the sacrifice of a perfect Lamb and the shedding of blood.
This points us towards Jesus the Lamb Of God - our perfect sacrifice who rescues us and saves us through his sacrifice.
John 1 vs 29 – Behold the lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world.
We are children of a new and better covenant – Hebrews 10 vs 16 – Hebrews 10 vs 9
So how does this affect us today?
1. We need to know and understand our position in Christ – that it is not our righteousness that he looks at but the righteousness of Christ- Our position as sons and daughters is secure.
2. Jesus sacrifice gives us “ right standing” with God and we are acceptable to him as our debt has been paid – Jesus took our place and was our substitute- all our sin fell on Jesus. (Romans5)
3. WE can enter God’s presence with boldness not timidity – Hebrews 10 vs 19
Once we understand these promises of God and capture his amazing plan of salvation we have to worship! Hebrews 13 vs 15
God was always looking for a people to worship him and right at the beginning of the Exodus story told Moses to say to Pharaoh “ This is what the Lord says – Israel is my first born son. I command you to let my people go so they can worship me”
Nothing changes – God still seeks a people who will worship him in Spirit and in Truth and when we realize what a great salvation we have and what God does for us on a daily basis we can do only one thing – Worship the King!
1. Does the story of the Children of Israel leaving Egypt help in our understanding of our own salvation and does the Passover aid that understanding?
2. The old covenant let peoples sins be forgiven by the shedding of blood and a sacrifice – The new covenant is based on Jesus sacrifice – Once and for all – Do we understand the difference between the two and how does that understanding help in our walk with God.
3. Why do we not boldly come into God’s presence? What holds us back and what can we do or understand to help us in this situation?
4. Did looking at the Passover help in your understanding of communion and why we take communion?
Exodus Redemption In Action
Peter Williams (Sun, 17 Sep 2017)
Peter Williams introduces the new series on the book of Exodus, and looks at Chapters 1-11, ‘Living in Slavery. To view Peter's notes (in PDF format), click here.
1-11, Living in slavery, The effect of sin.
Do you have anything in your life that you are slaves to?
How did they end up there? God led them to Egypt.
Why were they in slavery? Because there was an evil Pharaoh.
They were enslaved just living life in a foreign land.
Phil ‘We need to be radical and ruthless’
Phil talked about sexual sin and pornography.
If lent what tomorrow, what might you consider giving up? What would you consider not giving up?
Phone. Do without. Distracted already this am. Airplane mode in church?
Reading, even Christian books
Church? Meetings and sermons.
Matt 5 - Where your treasure is there your heart will be also…..
None of these things is inherently evil
What is sin? Anything that gets in the way of God.
The root of all sin is that you don't have enough
Signs of slavery....
IF I don't.... then....
What are we slaves to?
Why did we end up there?
How much was wilful?
Do you feel like you are in slavery?
What are you building with?
Are we building with bricks and straw?
We need to build on the cornerstone.
John 8:31-36 - How short were their memories. A bit like pharoah.
Where is freedom found?
Even our light is as darkness to god. We need his purity not ours.
Money is an example. If if is your master you are a servant.
Wesley. Earn more, save more, give more.
Romans 6:12-16, 20-23
Saved by Grace.
Do I sin? Yes. Should I be mastered by it, no.
Redemption in action.
From slavery to adoption.
Name that tune
Pompeii by Bastille
Oh where do we begin?
The rubble or our sins?
So where do we start?
I’d suggest with the sins. Without the sin there’s less rubble.
When we try to clear our rubble, we keep sinning, and the rubble keeps accumulating.
We don't spot the sin rolling in, the sin that so easily entangles.
PJ Smythe - When his kids misbehave Daddy loves when you are good. Daddy loves you when you are naughty. Daddy loves you all the time.
God does not say “Stop doing that”, He says, “But you are my son!....”
Don't let the good things get in the way of the best.
Bad things obviously mislead.
Good things mislead more easily.
Do you have anything in your life that you are slaves to?
We need god's insight to see these things.
We need god's wisdom as to how to respond
We need god's spirit to lead us into righteousness
Knowing you are a son changes how we behave
Is there a ‘secular’ song that speaks to you about godly things?
Is there anything that you realises enslaved you?
How do we keep the right theology in our heads, and not focus on our sins or shortfalls?
What will you do differently as a result of thinking about slavery?
A People Of Vision
Phil Hardy (Sun, 10 Sep 2017)
Phil spoke of the vision for Church in the Peak as we approach the building project.
To view Phil's notes (in PDF format), click here.
What’s your Vision? Or some call it a dream,
The Dream Giver – Preface
It starts with someone having a vision/dream
It does not have to be what we would call sacred, that is involve fulfilling some Christian ministry
Your Vision/Dream maybe in Care for the Needy, Business, the Arts, Public service. Finance, Heath care, Education
There should be no divide between the Secular and Sacred
“For we are God’s masterpiece. He has created us anew in Christ Jesus, so we can do the good things he planned for us long ago.”
Ephesians 2:10 NLT
The last 2 talks have been about our benefits of being in Christ and his Grace freely given us to live holy lives and able to fulfill the good works prepared for us before we ever existed
There should be no divide between the Secular and Sacred, the call, gifting and anointing of God are not for the few who serve in “Spiritual Ministry” everything done in response to him, his call and his leading, whatever we class it as, should be the good works he has prepared for us to do.
Vision statements from the world
Apple:- Steve Jobs said this
"Man is the creator of change in this world. As such, he should be above systems and structures, and not subordinate to them."
"Apple is committed to bringing the best personal computing experience to students, educators, creative professionals and consumers around the world through its innovative hardware, software and Internet offerings."
Google:- “to provide access to the world’s information in one click.”
“to organize the world’s information and make it universally accessible and useful.”
IKEA: - "To create a better everyday life for the many people."
Twitter: - “To give everyone the power to create and share ideas and information instantly, without barriers.”
Why have a Vision?
• ESV - 18 Where there is no prophetic vision the people cast off restraint, but blessed is he who keeps the law.
• Where there is no revelation, people cast off restraint; but blessed is the one who heeds wisdom’s instruction.
• When people do not accept divine guidance, they run wild. But whoever obeys the law is joyful.
• MSG - If people can’t see what God is doing, they stumble all over themselves; But when they attend to what he reveals, they are most blessed.
When God created he did so with Vision and Purpose Genesis 1
27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them.
28 And God blessed them. And God said to them, “Be fruitful and multiply and fill the earth and subdue it, and have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the heavens and over every living thing that moves on the earth.” 29 And God said, “Behold, I have given you every plant yielding seed that is on the face of all the earth, and every tree with seed in its fruit. You shall have them for food.
My story for Catalyst
Each year I have been at the Festival God has encountered me
First time I spent the whole weekend in tears, I was useless didn’t really lead, help or support the ministry team
Last time God spoke so clearly, Prophetically, about time to pursue the vision God had given me
So what’s the Vision ?
New Frontiers – Slide 1
To extend the Kingdom of God among the nations through
• Recovery of New Testament Church Life
• Making Disciples
• Training Leaders
• Starting Churches
• Serving the poor
Nearly 30 years ago we joined with this vision
We saw what God was doing in restoring the church
Our own vision was caught up in the bigger vision.
“The way to fulfill your own vison is to get caught up in an even bigger vision”
Our vision statement – Slide2
All of it is about fulfilling Gods Vision
Summary in order of our priorities – Slide 3
Gods plan –
Habakkuk 2:14 “For the earth will be filled with the knowledge of the glory of the Lord as the waters cover the sea”
• This time last year I shared what I felt God had revealed about our future here in the peaks
• I talked about the change from the Moses years to the Joshua Era
• This term we are going to Journey with the Israelites out of salver you into the promised land and to see what God has to teach us and say to us on our Journey into what has been promised to us.
• We will look at the old and the new to help us understand what the new era looks like.
• Its summed up in this - Joshua 21:43English Standard Version (ESV)
43 Thus the Lord gave to Israel all the land that he swore to give to their fathers. And they took possession of it, and they settled there.
God brings together in the right place a time to fulfill his eternal plan through
There are places for you, for us to take possession of. Not just land but we are to take the very nature of heaven, the culture of the kingdom into every place we are, whatever God has given us to do let be that we advance the kingdom to fill that place with the knowledge of the glory of God
Whatever vision you have see it in the context of a bigger Vision that you can serve ultimately fulfilling Gods vision to restore all thing back to himself and as Ephesians 4 says
“However, he has given each one of us a special gift through the generosity of Christ. That is why the Scriptures say, “When he ascended to the heights, he led a crowd of captives and gave gifts to his people.” Notice that it says “he ascended.” This clearly means that Christ also descended to our lowly world. And the same one who descended is the one who ascended higher than all the heavens, so that he might fill the entire universe with himself.”
Ephesians 4:7-10 NLT
Questions / Ministry
Are you able to recognise God given Vision/dream? Church and personal
Have you forgotten it?
Do you still believe in it
“God wants to draw you into the kind of life you were born to love”.