David West (Sun, 13 Nov 2016)
David West explained about God's love for us and how Calvary changed everything.
Unfortunately, the whole of David's talk was not recorded. The following notes, made by Peter, cover the whole preach.
Calvary changed everything.
It moved us from the old covanent to the new.
Love God with all your heart soul and mind
Love your neighbour as yourself
These are old covanent requirements
The requirements of the new covanent are always harder than the old.
So what's the requirement in the new covanent regarding love?
Jesus said he gave a new commandment, to love others as he does.
We don't love ourselves very well, so to have loved as we love ourself is not always great.
But Jesus wants us to love those that we would not associate with normally, and would do us harm.
So what would be higher than loving God with everything we have?
The emphasis shifts in the new covanent to how well God loves us, rather than how we love him! Our security and foundation has to change under the new covanent.
1 John 4. Without God there is no love. We love him because he first loved us.
God is never disillusioned with us as he had no illusions in the first place.
There is no condemnation even when we sin!
Did Jesus love John more than the other disciples? John was more convinced about the fact that he was loved by Jesus.
That gave John more security as a result.
Love will pull out of you the Spirit of adventure more. You will know you are safe in different environments.
It will also stir up in you a love for God more.
If it does not feel good, it means God has not finished yet.
When walking in the valley, we must not sit down and say woe is me. We need to walk and believe in the wow of God.
Jesus was kinder to Thomas than history has been!
How do we develop this love.
If you want to grow in your love for him, then grow in your confidence of his love for you.
We need to forgive 70x7. How much more will God forgive us?
How do we love those who do evil things?
Jesus, forgive hem for they know not what they do.
That was a transaction between God and Jesus.
Tongues and Interpretation
Dave Watmore (Sun, 06 Nov 2016)
Continuing our series on the gifts of the Spirit, Dave looks at tongues and interpretation.
All Gods gifts are unmerited but He wants us all to eagerly desire them.
Our Father has given us the gift of mission to our community and he has also given us the gifts to work to achieve this with Him.
The gift of tongues is one that is there to build each one of us up before God.
I used the illustration of the three gifts, a ring, a screw driver/drill and a bottle of moisturiser to illustrate my point.
The gift of tongues for personal use is a very flexible gift helping us to pray into difficult situations when we don't know the facts or have run out of words to pray.
It says in I Corinthians 14 that the gift of tongues is to edifying the born again Christian. Edifying means to build up. Share examples of when the gift of tongues has been useful to you in building you up when in a difficult situation.
Think of situations in the local community when it would be useful to pray in tongues to see the Holy Spirit break in.
Please consider my illustration of the Christmas gift that I did not remember having and had left unused for a year. Are you using the gift of tongues either in private or public?
What is holding you back from desiring the gift or using it?
Paul says eagerly desire the spiritual gifts. That includes speaking in tongues.
The gift of tongues is a wonder gift. Does it thrill you? If not, would you like to be thrilled with this gift that builds up?
When Jesus Says Come
Dave Harper (Sun, 30 Oct 2016)
Dave spoke about following Jesus when he calls you out of the boat.
Further notes and questions may follow in due course.
Phil Hardy (Sun, 23 Oct 2016)
During today's All Age Meeting, KidZone explained about the "I AM" sayings of Jesus which they have been learning about this term.
To view the KidZone slides (in PDF format), click here.
Phil preached on how the "I AM"s can give us absolute assurance in God's plans for us.
Kari Jobe's "Forever" video can be seen here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huFra1mnIVE. The rap starts at approx. 6m45s.
Further notes and questions may follow in due course.
The Holy Spirit Is Essential For The Church
Neal Garratt (Sun, 16 Oct 2016)
Neal started our new series on the Holy Spirit.
This morning we looked at the Baptism in the Spirit and why being Baptised in the Spirit is so important for ourselves, our Church and the community we live in. We looked at 1 Corinthians 12 and made reference to Ephesians 4 and Romans 12. We talked about having potential and making sure we realized that potential in Christ. Being Baptised in the Holy Spirit helps is to fulfil our potential in ourselves, to the local Church and to the wider community we live in.
Let’s not be described as having made “Fair progress” or “Having potential” – let’s realize both and enter into all That God has for us and the Church!
Questions for Groups
1. There are undoubtedly things that hold us back from getting all that God has planned for us – we mentioned some this morning – I hope these resonated with you? Can you think of others that you struggle with? How can we overcome those things that hold us back?
2. Having looked at 1 Corinthians 12 and the kind of Church God wants for us – can you see how important each role is and how we should all work together to make one functioning body? If this happens what would have to change?
3. Think of Peter and Jesus - Are you personally prepared to step out of the boat – out of your comfort zone and walk on the water with Jesus- no matter the risks?
4. What potential difference will this make to our Church Life and the community we live in?
Have You Got A Taste For Adventure?
Peter Wiliams (Sun, 09 Oct 2016)
Peter continued looking at the vision we have been looking at for the last couple of weeks. Peter noted that in the Joshua Generation, it was the people who did the 'stuff', not the leaders. It is up to us, as directed by God, to make a difference in our communities.
To view Peter's slides (in PDF format), click here.
Ephesians 2 one in Christ. Ends in the spirit......
Priesthood of all believers
The Moses era is over and we are entering the Joshua era / generation.
Not so much about the leaders, as the community they are leading.
What is the Joshua generation like?
Where the Spirit of God is, there is power.
We have already established that each of you are full of the holy spirit.
So where you are there is power!
Beermat challenge to us - Have you got a taste for adventure?
Gifts spirit. This term. How does this fit with kingdom extension?
Corinthians - Wisdom, Knowledge, Faith, Healing, Miracles, Prophecy, Distinguishing of spirits, Tongues, Interpretation, Hospitality, Encouragement and Administration
Ephesians 4 ministries
Apostles, Prophets, Teachers / preaching, Miracles, Healing and Tongues
Great commission - Matthew 28:18-20
Who are the unique ethni that you come into contact with?
Vision - a Christian presence in every community
Values unchanged, last 2 terms preaches
Presence god prized.
Reach peak district, small groups
Partnerships - current experience
Not giving up meeting together
How we do that, it's an adventure.
Not doing church but being church
Priesthood all believers
New beer mat.
We don't know how it will look.
But we know we have a god who does.
We don't know what things will work.
But we know what he has told us and we know what the spirit can do.
Questions for groups.
How do you feel about the adventure the church is on?
What do you think you bring to this adventure? What scares you about it?
What would you like to see God do?
Do you have any passions that you would like see encouraged by church?
Baptism Service at Holy Trinity Matlock Bath
Neal Garratt (Sun, 02 Oct 2016)
Today we had a great joint service with Holy Trinity Matlock Bath during which six of our young people were baptised.
There is no audio available of Neal's preach about Thomas the Tank Engine's friend Henry, who needed the right coal to make him work to the best of his ability.
Further notes and questions may follow in due course.
Priests Appointed By God
Phil Hardy (Sun, 25 Sep 2016)
Phil continued his preach about our priestly status and laying a foundation and building on it with some vision for what we feel God has said and the way he is leading us.
Week 2 – A Kingdom of Priests
HEB 4:14-16 ESV
Since then we have a great high priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus, the Son of God, let us hold fast our confession. For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but one who in every respect has been tempted as we are, yet without sin. Let us then with confidence draw near to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need.
• Each one of us is here to fulfill a God given purpose
• In revelation, the summing up of all things there’s this declaration
"You have made them to be a kingdom and priests to our God ; and they shall reign on the earth. " (Revelation 5:10 ESV)
• We are all called
• We are all chosen
• Not of ourselves God has made us to be
• We believe in the priesthood of all believers
• The reason Jesus was revealed to destroy the works of the evil one,
• We exist to make Jesus known across the Peak District region
Our priestly call is;
• We are to minister first to God -Worship
• The presence of God manifest among us refreshing renewing changing empowering as we approach the throne grace where his presence fill everything in every way
• We are to minister to one another – Jesus said they would know we are his disciples by our love for one another
• We are to minister to those who do not know
• God has made available to us al we need to be equipped to do all 3
• This term is about us getting equipped
• This is about Jesus and his Kingdom rule and reign in all the earth that, before he comes again the gospel will be made known to every tribe tongue and nation, not just words but demonstration of kingdom
• This morning I want to speak from the heart
• I want to share what we feel God has spoken to us
• The reason we are hear, to make Jesus known in every community, village, & town of the Peak District, to affect towns and cities around us, to send to the nation’s
• God spoke some years ago and said “when you secure Matlock you will take the peaks”
o How we secure Matlock is by our being established in the town
o We already are well on the way to that Through the many thing we already to here
o The building is part of that establishing, we will be submitting a fresh application next month change of use
What we are doing in the Hope Valley is to make Jesus known, we are doing this by
• Praying in the area
• Partnering with other Christians in the area
• Training how to reach out
• Encouraging other churches who are willing to and share a desire to reach the area
There is no village or town off limits , where ever you live, work, socialise is where you are free to bring the kingdom to affect culture.
As a family of churches Newfrontiers has a calling from God to change the expression of Christianity around the world
We are seeking to do that here in the Peaks
We are to change culture both in the church and in the world around us
I’ve lived with something God spoke to me some years ago at our 25th celebration
Moses / Joshua – what God spoke to me from this story
Moses years – all together, one place, gathered around the temple, nomadic, everything supplied, weren’t warriors, it was mainly a new generation not known Egypt.
Joshua era – together they took the promised land of the Cannanites, city after city and established themselves in each place. They had to establish community, society, social care, health care, education, businesses of every kind. They established who they were always mentioned to be in the land God meant for them to have.
It’s time for us to do the same – establish who we are in the region God has given to us.
• Change the culture of the church
• Affect the culture around us
• Bring God’s Kingdom rule and reign to the Peaks
Our joining with HT MB is about us being who we are called to be
Our reaching the Hope Valley a area we have had no community of believers is being who we are called to be
Our reaching out into the communities we have community of believes is us being who we are meant to be
We have not been necessarily looking for a new Moses. One day we may have a Joshua like lead elder
• We have a call from God, many promises and we want to be trained and equipped to fulfill that call so that’s why we are looking at the gifts of the Holy Spirit, why we are doing Sozo .
• We are going to work out this call and to seek to enter into the fulfilment of every good promise made to us.
Hope that helps you get a picture of where we feel God is leading us
Hope your heart has been stirred
You are qualified to be part of God’s great plan for us by his grace he chose you and appointed you and made you to be a priest to our God bringing his rule and reign into every place we are and that has given us influence.
These are some of my notes not all though. Questions may not necessarily be the right thing this week but to discuss what I shared and pray. Pray for one another especially if there is things from your past Christian experience that would hinder you from entering fully into the future God has for us.
Who Are We In God?
Phil Hardy (Sun, 18 Sep 2016)
Phil spoke 1 Peter 2 about what being a royal priesthood means for us.
To view Phil's slides (in PDF format), click here.
Further notes and questions may follow.
Being In Christ
Neal Garratt (Sun, 11 Sep 2016)
Neal spoke about what "being in Christ" means.
To view Neal's slides (in PDF format), click here.
This week we looked at being “ In Christ” and what this means for our Christian Lives and the truth that this should bring to our thinking- Moving head knowledge to heart truth being the key – we looked at lots of scriptures so we can base these truths in scripture and I have listed them below so you can re-read them in your own time. These are important as the truth sets us free.
Ephesians 2 vs 4-10 – This was where we started looking at the promises God has made to us about being “In Christ” and the difference it should mean to our lives.
We looked at seven truths regarding being in Christ
1.God chose us before the foundation of the world, to redeem us and forgive all our sins.
Ephesians 1 vs 4-8
Romans 8 vs 29
2.In Christ we are a new creation – Sons and Daughters of the King!
2 Corinthians 5 vs 7
Galations 4 vs 4
3. In Christ we are justified before God and the righteousness of Christ is given to us.
2 Corinthians 5 vs 21
1 John 4 vs 10
Propitiation - meaning “A sacrifice that turns away God’s wrath and turns it to favour”
4. In Christ we are being sanctified or made Holy.
1 Corinthians 1 vs 2
Galations 5 vs 22-25
5. In Christ you are loved by God with an everlasting Love
Romans 8 vs 38-39
Ephesians 3 vs 17-19
6. In Christ we have peace
Phillipians 4 vs 6-7
John 14 vs 27
7. In Christ we are seated with him in heavenly places and have eternal life with Him.
Ephesians 2 vs 6
Romans 6 VS 23
All these promises are from God and are fulfilled in Christ
2 Corinthians 1 vs 20
and all our needs are met in Christ!
Phillipians 4 vs 19
1. Being “ In Christ” should make us secure in our faith and walk with God and yet so often we feel insecure – why do you think this is the case?
2. Which verses mentioned above have helped in your understanding of what being “In Christ” means for the Christian?
3. Peter said last week “Fear, worry and concern – all these things don’t define me because I am in Christ – Joy comes when we move that knowledge from our head to our heart.
What do you feel defines you and what can change that perception?
4. How do we move head knowledge to our hearts – what works for you – perhaps share with your group what works for you as this may help other people?