Faith Filled Praying
Phil Hardy (Sun, 11 Jun 2017)
Phil continued his preach about praying.
To view Phil's full notes (in PDF format), click here.
To view Phil's slides (in PDF format), click here.
I guess it’s would be easy if there were some simple formula or step by step simple guide to prayer to follow and if you do that all your prayers will be answered
Just check off the steps and we’ve done our duty
Prayer doesn’t work like that though, God wants us to engage with him, it’s about relationship and our hearts been in tune with him.
Praying was never meant to be a duty or a chore, it is a privilege and essential to our developing and strengthening our relationship with our father.
God loves to answer our prayer, he doesn’t ignore he’s not being difficult or awkward, he wants us to find him to know him to partner with him.
He wants us to know his heart that we might pray with faith and expectancy.
We need to:
(1) pray faithfully
(2) pray decisively
(3) pray forcefully
(4) pray lovingly
(5) pray truthfully
(6) pray earnestly
(7) pray authoritatively
Prayer is a journey that is unique for everyone. Just as each of us has a different calling or job to do for God, each of us will travel a slightly different road in understanding what prayer really is. God will speak to each of us in different ways, and the way God speaks to one person can be markedly different from the way He speaks to another.
God isn't interested in getting us to learn rules and requirements and living life merely by following the dictates of a rule book, but He wants us to come to Him that we might know Him for ourselves. He wants a unique relationship with each of us just as He created each of us as unique individuals.
He wants to partner with us in our journey and live it out with us day by day. It's why He created humans, and it is His great joy when we come to Him without doubt or compromise to wholeheartedly get to know Him and let ourselves be fully known by Him. God is all about relationship, and the key to it is masterful prayer.
Faith filled payers are needed for seemly impossible tasks
For our nation to turn back to God
To see the Gospel penetrate every tribe tongue and nation
To see strongholds pulled down in the Name of Jesus
To see his kingdom rule and reign in every sphere of society
God majors in doing what is impossible with man
He loves to break through when all hope seems gone
So what are we going to do with prayer ?
If this is a new day for us then it has to be in prayer and through prayer
• What’s your prayer journey?
• What’s been your best prayer success and your worst?
• How would you like to see your prayer life grow?
• How can we be more effective in our praying ?
• What are the breakthroughs you are praying for at the moment?
Partnering With God In Prayer
Phil Hardy (Sun, 21 May 2017)
Phil spoke about the importance of partnering with God in prayer.
• We are encouraged in scripture to
o Pray Scripturally
o Pray Strategically
o Pray Systematically
• Sometimes it’s hard
• Sometimes there are barriers, distractions and our minds wonder, our praying on detours
• God has told us he wants us to strengthen our prayer muscle, to be stronger and more effective in our praying, He said we could have this building but we would have to fight for it in prayer
• Prayer is a key factor in any advancement of the Gospel and the church
• Prayer should precede any kingdom activity
• God wants our future / your future to be better than our / your past
God wants us to have influence in every sphere of our life, workplace, where we live in our community,
Prayer has been the Key to our Past History right back from the beginning in Genesis
Right back in our history we find prayer in the Old Testament is in Genesis 15 - God reveals his plan and purpose to Abram
After these things the word of the Lord came to Abram in a vision: “Fear not, Abram, I am your shield; your reward shall be very great.” 2 But Abram said, “O Lord God, what will you give me, for I continue childless, and the heir of my house is Eliezer of Damascus?” 3 And Abram said, “Behold, you have given me no offspring, and a member of my household will be my heir.”
Isaac praying because Rebekah was barren and so she had Jacob and Esau. The promise made to Abraham his Father would be fulfilled because of this prayer, and continues to be fulfilled
Jesus obviously prayed – Obviously!
On the day of Pentecost what were they doing?
When the early church were being persecuted what did they do?
When Peter was imprisoned how did they respond?
Prayer was the key in the Old Testament and the New Testament church
The point is Prayer was the key to our past, our heritage.
As a nation we once prayed and it was prayer that once made this nation great
We are where we are
We are who we are …..Because of prayer
Over the years there has been much prayer in the church for the church to bring us to this point
Prayer was important, it still is important, even of greater importance maybe; it always will be until Jesus comes again, and it’s the key to our future – to yours and mine
3 points about Prayer
• Prayer expresses our trust in God and the means whereby our trust him can increase as well as a way of expressing our love to him and fellowship with him
• Prayer changes the way God acts
James 4:2 you do not have because you do not ask
Prayer not only does us good but also affects God and the world
When we ask, God responds
Luke 11: 9-10 for everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds and to him who knocks the door will be opened.
There is a clear connection between seeking things form God and receiving them
When we ask, God responds
• Pray in accordance with Gods will
1 John 5:14-15
14 And this is the confidence that we have toward him, that if we ask anything according to his will he hears us. 15 And if we know that he hears us in whatever we ask, we know that we have the requests that we have asked of him.
Wayne Grudem:- It’s appropriate that we should have great confidence that God will answer our prayer when we ask him for something that is in accord with a specific promise or command of scripture
What’s your prayer life like – occasional, when we remember? when its convenient? , when we’re in need? Is it passive?
Does it go something like this -?
Good morning God please help me today or Good night
Bless me and mine
Look after my house and family
Just maybe what he means for us to strengthen our Payer muscle maybe we need to adopt a lifestyle of praying
Continuous, Effective, Hell destroying, Bondage breaking, Stronghold crushing, Life generating, Soul saving and power releasing spiritual intersession
Conclusion & Application
There is much God has planned for you and us to do, God’s not done with you or us yet, his purpose for the Peak District and this church has yet to be fully fulfilled
Prayer is the key to seeing it all happen
Maybe if you don’t already set aside just some time say 15minutes every day to pray with and in the spirit like that and see what change God will bring about.
Chris Spear – Prayer Room
We have opportunities in church life to pray together, I want to encourage you to strengthen your own prayer life and that we continue to strengthen the Prayer life of the church.
Questions for Groups
• What’s your prayer life like? What obstacles hinder prayer?
• How can you strengthen your payer muscle?
• What do you think hinders people from getting together for prayer?
• What would church life be like if we prayed more and prayed like this - Continuous, Effective, Hell destroying, Bondage breaking, Stronghold crushing, Life generating, Soul saving and power releasing spiritual intercessory prayer
The Vision and practicalities for The Lime Tree building
Phil Hardy Neal Garratt Justyn Pride Graham Kemp (Sun, 30 Apr 2017)
In our first formal Sunday meeting at the Lime Tree Building, Phil, Neal, Justyn and Graham outlined both the vision for the building and the activities of the church and design modifications that will be made to the building.
Please note that the questions in the Q&A session were not given through the mic. Hopefully you can work out what the question was from the answer that was given!
To view the slides about the Elder's vision (in PDF format), click here.
To view Graham's slides in relation to the design and layout of the building (in PDF format), click here.
Phil Hardy (Sun, 26 Mar 2017)
Phil continued our series on Spiritual Gifts preaching on discernment.
We apologise for the poor quality of this audio file.
To view Phil's notes (in PDF format), click here.
This gift of discernment is for every believer and is necessary for everyday living that we would not be blown about by every wind of doctrine, that we would know when our enemy is trying to deceive us.
That as we minister the kingdom to others we are more effective because we are able to discern and deal the root cause of any issue rather than just try to ease the symptom.
Paul when writing concerning spiritual gifts encouraged us to desire the best gift, he was not setting up one gift as more important than another, he was saying what’s the most appropriate gift for the situation that will deal with the root cause bring truth, healing, Freedom and deliverance.
1. In what ways can we test the spirits as described in 2 Timothy 2 v 15
2. Paul writing to the Ephesians “Our fight is with the unseen realm” how do we recognise these attacks and how do we resist them?
3. Is discernment only to be used when praying for some one? At what other times do we need to be able to the gift of discernment?
4. Paul encourages us to desire the best gifts? How are we to know what the best gifts are?
The Gift Of Miracles
Phil Hardy (Sun, 26 Feb 2017)
Phil continued our series on the Gifts of the Holy Spirit looking at the Gift of Miracles.
Further notes and questions may follow in due course.
Rise And Shine
Phil Hardy (Sun, 12 Feb 2017)
Phil spoke about not being spiritually dull because Christ lives in us.
Isaiah 60 verse 1-5
• Rise & Shine – spring out of bed, alert ready for the day, full of energy, can’t wait to get started, looking forward to a great day, ready for anything, bring it on !
• Does that describe how you feel when you wake every morning ?
• Or is it struggling to wake up? Lacking energy a bit longer in bed so hit the snooze button, wake up slowly, in need of a coffee or tea to help wake you up to get you going, dreading the day ahead, same old same old, nothing really to look forward to, not feeling very motivated.
• I felt God wants to stir us with his wake up call
• Dull lives
• Living in shadows
Living to the max
• We are in Christ Ephesians tells us we are called and chosen to be in Christ
• Colossians 3 verse 4 And when Christ, who is your life, is revealed to the whole world, you will share in all his glory.
• He is our life
• Jesus in you he is your light, he is the light that is to shine through you
• The life we now live is to be in him and him shine through us.
• Jesus said “I have come that they may here life and life to the full”
• People of different understandings of what it is to live to the max
• We’ve talked about being on an adventure, God’s invited us o an adventure with him to Rise and Shine with the glory of God
• Watchman Nee – wrote a book not I but Christ “the secret of the Christian life” p109 & 110
• Christ is to be revealed to the world through his people, that’s you and me
• We have been placed by God , you each have a place where God has put us
• It’s your unique opportunity to reveal Jesus
• It’s your unique place to shine for him
• Your kingdom come on earth as it is in heaven, who’s going to demonstrate it if you don’t
• We have been chosen to be the means by which his kingdom rule and reign comes into every part of society
• We want revival while it’s a sovereign move of God he still involves us
He came to give us life
I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. Galatians 2:20 ESV
• Paul understood that his life was now hid in Christ with God and so the life he now lived in his flesh was to be by faith in the one who loved him
• The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? Psalms 27:1 ESV
Your time to shine
• It’s our time to shine
• What or who’s shadow are you living in? Fears and worry are shadows , people we feel inferior to, fear of others
• Is there any dullness in your life? I maybe spiritual dullness, it maybe you feel you have a dull mundane life, life generally is dull and more like just existing, surviving
• God’s got so much more to offer
• He wants you live life to the full
Time to shake off dullness – literally shake it off
1. How does us being in Christ and Christ in us affect how we live our lives?
2. Jesus came to give us life to the full, what do you believe the full life Jesus was talking about is?
3. Have you been spiritually dull? Have you shaken it off ? What’s changed?
4. How can the glory of God shine more in your unique place God has put you?
Discernment and Identity
Phil Hardy (Sun, 20 Nov 2016)
Phil continued our series on spiritual gifts by talking about discernment.
These times together in the 3 areas are opportunity to discover our identity, allow God to shape us by encountering him, understand how we can affect our community by taking responsibility for seeing his Kingdom come where are, and build Holy Spirit filled communities that are effective and growing.
Here's the notes and some questions, but my encouragement would be take time to encounter God and let him give you fresh vision
The Lord said to Abram, after Lot had separated from him, "Lift up your eyes and look from the place where you are, northward and southward and eastward and westward, for all the land that you see I will give to you and to your offspring forever.
GEN 13:14-15 ESV
What is the way God is leading us
Who we are in God , what do we carry?
We are on a journey of discovery as well as an adventure.
The children of Israel when they came out of Egypt knew they were slaves, it didn't take any discerning, they saw themselves as grass hoppers.
The majority of that generation died in the desert, the new generation who were going to possess the land didn't have any identity other than being a nomadic people.
God was to give then a new identity
Even when they went to Jericho they still had no idea who they were but the Canaanites knew who they were and were terrified of them.
We are to discern who we are, God’s new identity for us
How we perceive ourselves determines how we live When we know who we are well act accordingly.
“Everything you can comprehend through faith’s vision belongs to you. Look as far as you can, for it is all yours. All you long to be as a Christian, all you carry from God, all you long to do for God, and all that lies before us as a church are within the possibilities of faith”.
From where you are, what is it that you are seeing ?
What is it that you are longing for in God and how are you perusing it?
If how we perceive ourselves determines how we live – Is our perception of who we are lining up with who God says we are ? If not how can this be changed ? What signs can we look for that show a change in our identity ?
Phil Hardy (Sun, 23 Oct 2016)
During today's All Age Meeting, KidZone explained about the "I AM" sayings of Jesus which they have been learning about this term.
To view the KidZone slides (in PDF format), click here.
Phil preached on how the "I AM"s can give us absolute assurance in God's plans for us.
Kari Jobe's "Forever" video can be seen here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huFra1mnIVE. The rap starts at approx. 6m45s.
Further notes and questions may follow in due course.
Priests Appointed By God
Phil Hardy (Sun, 25 Sep 2016)
Phil continued his preach about our priestly status and laying a foundation and building on it with some vision for what we feel God has said and the way he is leading us.
Week 2 – A Kingdom of Priests
HEB 4:14-16 ESV
Since then we have a great high priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus, the Son of God, let us hold fast our confession. For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but one who in every respect has been tempted as we are, yet without sin. Let us then with confidence draw near to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need.
• Each one of us is here to fulfill a God given purpose
• In revelation, the summing up of all things there’s this declaration
"You have made them to be a kingdom and priests to our God ; and they shall reign on the earth. " (Revelation 5:10 ESV)
• We are all called
• We are all chosen
• Not of ourselves God has made us to be
• We believe in the priesthood of all believers
• The reason Jesus was revealed to destroy the works of the evil one,
• We exist to make Jesus known across the Peak District region
Our priestly call is;
• We are to minister first to God -Worship
• The presence of God manifest among us refreshing renewing changing empowering as we approach the throne grace where his presence fill everything in every way
• We are to minister to one another – Jesus said they would know we are his disciples by our love for one another
• We are to minister to those who do not know
• God has made available to us al we need to be equipped to do all 3
• This term is about us getting equipped
• This is about Jesus and his Kingdom rule and reign in all the earth that, before he comes again the gospel will be made known to every tribe tongue and nation, not just words but demonstration of kingdom
• This morning I want to speak from the heart
• I want to share what we feel God has spoken to us
• The reason we are hear, to make Jesus known in every community, village, & town of the Peak District, to affect towns and cities around us, to send to the nation’s
• God spoke some years ago and said “when you secure Matlock you will take the peaks”
o How we secure Matlock is by our being established in the town
o We already are well on the way to that Through the many thing we already to here
o The building is part of that establishing, we will be submitting a fresh application next month change of use
What we are doing in the Hope Valley is to make Jesus known, we are doing this by
• Praying in the area
• Partnering with other Christians in the area
• Training how to reach out
• Encouraging other churches who are willing to and share a desire to reach the area
There is no village or town off limits , where ever you live, work, socialise is where you are free to bring the kingdom to affect culture.
As a family of churches Newfrontiers has a calling from God to change the expression of Christianity around the world
We are seeking to do that here in the Peaks
We are to change culture both in the church and in the world around us
I’ve lived with something God spoke to me some years ago at our 25th celebration
Moses / Joshua – what God spoke to me from this story
Moses years – all together, one place, gathered around the temple, nomadic, everything supplied, weren’t warriors, it was mainly a new generation not known Egypt.
Joshua era – together they took the promised land of the Cannanites, city after city and established themselves in each place. They had to establish community, society, social care, health care, education, businesses of every kind. They established who they were always mentioned to be in the land God meant for them to have.
It’s time for us to do the same – establish who we are in the region God has given to us.
• Change the culture of the church
• Affect the culture around us
• Bring God’s Kingdom rule and reign to the Peaks
Our joining with HT MB is about us being who we are called to be
Our reaching the Hope Valley a area we have had no community of believers is being who we are called to be
Our reaching out into the communities we have community of believes is us being who we are meant to be
We have not been necessarily looking for a new Moses. One day we may have a Joshua like lead elder
• We have a call from God, many promises and we want to be trained and equipped to fulfill that call so that’s why we are looking at the gifts of the Holy Spirit, why we are doing Sozo .
• We are going to work out this call and to seek to enter into the fulfilment of every good promise made to us.
Hope that helps you get a picture of where we feel God is leading us
Hope your heart has been stirred
You are qualified to be part of God’s great plan for us by his grace he chose you and appointed you and made you to be a priest to our God bringing his rule and reign into every place we are and that has given us influence.
These are some of my notes not all though. Questions may not necessarily be the right thing this week but to discuss what I shared and pray. Pray for one another especially if there is things from your past Christian experience that would hinder you from entering fully into the future God has for us.
Who Are We In God?
Phil Hardy (Sun, 18 Sep 2016)
Phil spoke 1 Peter 2 about what being a royal priesthood means for us.
To view Phil's slides (in PDF format), click here.
Further notes and questions may follow.